Mike Gapes MP will be hosting a public meeting for residents with Cllr Jas Athwal, the Leader of Redbridge Council, and Senior Police Officers on Monday 5th March in Redbridge Town Hall. Space will be limited, so to attend you need to register for a ticket here.
Residents will have the opportunity to raise concerns directly with members of the panel and will be able to hear an update from the police on 'Operation Mexico', the operation to tackle burglaries and robberies across the borough.
Last week Mike Gapes MP was updated by the Borough Commander on the burglary crisis in Ilford South and across Redbridge.
Local Police have said that:
· These burglaries are being committed by 3/4 groups who are travelling long distances across London and Essex to commit these crimes.
· Since 2nd January they have made 52 arrests for 54 offences as part of ‘Operation Mexico’. Of these 54 offences, 31 of these have been burglary specifically.
· Specialist analysists from the Met have now been deployed to Redbridge to assist with ‘Operation Mexico’ so that the police’s limited resources are being targeted as best they can to make arrests and stop burglaries.
· January 2018 is the first month that Redbridge has seen a monthly decrease in the number burglaries. The work has only just begun, but the police are confident that this means their actions are beginning to make a difference.
· The Police are increasing their visible patrols at peak times and are starting to hand out 500 Met Trace kits.
· The Police want to know where this stolen property is going. The Police want to emphasise that knowing where stolen property is ending up would be a massive help to their ongoing investigations. If residents who have been burgled have any idea where any of their stolen property has turned up or been found, please let them know.
Cllr Jas Athwal, the Leader of Redbridge Council, has announced that Redbridge Council will be:
· Investing £1.5million in CCTV and ANPR cameras across the Borough.
· Increasing the brightness of our new £4.4million LED lighting system across the Borough.
· Deploying Redbridge Council Enforcement Officers on street patrols at until late in the evening to increase the uniformed presence on our streets and is looking at other steps the Council can take.
Unfortunately cuts of £1bn from central government are putting tremendous pressures on to the Metropolitan Police. Mike Gapes MP will be writing to the Home Secretary to ask her to reverse these cuts. If you want to join Mike, please consider signing our petition to the Home Secretary.